You may already be familiar with the concept of empathy, but have you heard of empaths? Empathy is understanding others’ emotions from their own point of view, whereas sympathy is sharing in another’s feelings based off your own past experiences. For example, if your friend is going through a bad breakup, having empathy means you understand their pain, even if you are still with your high school sweetheart.
But what is an empath? Empaths are extremely sensitive individuals who are able to sense and feel others’ emotions as if they were their own. They have heightened intuitions and can be especially sensitive to their surroundings. Do you constantly take on others’ pain, or can you tell when someone is angry as soon as they walk in the room? You might be an empath.
Being an empath is an emotional superpower; however, it comes with challenges. Empaths go through their day taking on the emotions, both good and bad, of everyone they meet. It can be draining, and if empaths don’t practice self-care, they can get overwhelmed very quickly. An empath’s nurturing energy attracts people who need to talk about their problems. Listening is an important part of relationships, but empaths can take it a step too far, easily becoming therapists instead of friends. Because others’ emotions are so immediately palpable to them, empaths struggle with setting boundaries. More than most people, they don’t want to upset anyone!
If you are an empath, you need to take steps to protect yourself. Empaths absorb other peoples’ emotions all day, and they need ways to cleanse their aura and deflect negativity. Crystals are an empath’s best friend. Here are our top five stones for empaths:
- Wear Bronzite jewelry to protect yourself on the go. This crystal works like a disco ball, reflecting negativity back to the sender. If you work in a toxic situation, put a Bronzite stone on your desk to keep office drama at bay.
- Leave Black Tourmaline near your doors. As people walk in, it will cleanse them of negative energy. Think of it as a psychic car wash!
- If you are prone to road rage or travel fatigue, leave Tiger’s Eye in your car or your luggage. It will keep you psychically and physically safe throughout your journey.
- Pyrite, commonly known as “Fool’s Gold,” is anything but foolish. This crystal blocks unwanted energy, allowing empaths to deflect negativity without blocking out joy. If you suffer from intrusive thoughts caused by your empathy, Pyrite is also an amazing tool for mental clarity and calm.
- Black Obsidian is a great overall protector for empaths. However, it’s energy is very strong, and it might be uncomfortable for jewelry or décor. If you find Black Obsidian to be too overwhelming, use its gentler cousin, Mahogany Obsidian, instead.
Empathy is an amazing gift that makes the world a better place, but empaths need some special care. Crystals are the perfect tool to keep yourself emotionally available without inviting negativity.